FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
See below for the answers to the most common questions we receive at Studio East6. Still have questions? Contact Us - we will get back to you within 48 business hours.
What is Studio East6?
As featured in Vogue India, Studio East6 is ta op shopping destination for "A bride’s guide to buying traditional wedding wear around the world", Studio East6 has attired many prominent South Asian influencers, such as Mindy Kaling!
Studio East6 is an authorized dealer to many of India's top fashion designers (ie Tarun Tahilani, Falguni Shane Peacock, Anita Dongre, Seema Gujral, Papa Don’t Preach, Payal Singhal, etc) and has established direct partnerships with each of them. SE6 was founded on the idea of making some of India's sought out designers & designs more accessible to the North American market.
Why shop with Studio East6?
* We offer high-end quality product that is convenient to order
* You can shop across multiple designers all in one location stress-free! We do all the work.
* We are one of the few Indian multi-designers stores within the US with a physical studio space - conveniently located downtown Chicago (and Chicago is so easy to get to from anywhere in the U.S., right?)
* We have been around for much longer than many other studios, which means we have got this down to a science. You do not have to worry about your order.
* We do not charge for appointments
* We ship orders for free within the US for orders over $100
* We work with all our curated designers directly and have formed strong partnerships with each of them.
* We can get you what you need reliably and stress-free!
Where do you get your products from?
India -- mainly Mumbai & Delhi and few other smaller cities in India. We are a multi-designer studio, so product is coming from where they are based.
Do you have a retail location?
We do have a physical studio location at 1142 W. Madison St. #407 Chicago, IL 60607 in the hearty of the trendy West Loop neighborhood.
Do you have pieces in-stock at your studio to purchase or try on?
Yes, we have about ~150 styles in our studio, at a time, to purchase off-the-rack. Most of the styles are sent into our studio on rotation by our curated designers, so we may or may not have very specific styles from website in-stock at a given moment.
Each designer sends in stock on rotation and typically have about 7-10 pieces from that designer in at a time (unless pieces have been bought off the rack from clients). This sampling usually provides clients a good idea of each of the designer's quality and workmanship up close, as well as silhouettes in order to custom order.
We are unique in the sense that we are not located where all other traditional Indian stores are located in Chicago-- off of Devon Avenue! We are located in the heart of downtown Chicago. Convenient and intentional for our customer base.
What are your in-studio hours?
Due to COVID, our hours have changed recently.
We are open by appointment Monday – Saturday, with a restricted amount of walk-in hours. We are closed every Sunday.
We have slowly opened up our walk-in hours. Please check our social media for updated walk-in hours each week. For walk-in hour details, please check our Instagram posts here
If you would like to make an appointment:
• email: email@example.com
• fill out a contact form here
• we do offer virtual appointments
How long will it take to receive my Ready-To-Ship order?
We are impatient people here! When you order, we tend to ship within 48 business hours but do state we ship within 2-6 business days. Depending on where you live, the shipping times may vary. We offer various shipping methods to support faster delivery.
How long will it take to receive my Custom Order?
If item is not under 'Ready To Ship' section, it is considered a custom order whether you select default sizing or custom sizing. It will be made to order.
If order is a custom order, then it is taking anywhere from 6 - 15 weeks due to COVID and b/c the order will be custom made to your specifications. If it is a bridal order, it may take anywhere from 8 – 20 weeks. If you do need it sooner, then just ask us and we will try our best to accommodate.
Does your studio offer expedited shipping?
Yes, we do. We can overnight or expedite shipping according to your needs. Please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are your payment options?
Credit Card, PayPal, Zelle, Venmo, PopMoney, Check, and probably Bitcoin someday. We also accept cash for those who visit our physical studio.
I am Indian, can I get a discount?
Our designers all have standard global pricing. Also, imagine that instead of buying from us, that you fly to India, spend 2 weeks seeking out the designer of your choice, choosing the design, and then only to have it shipped here incorrectly with customs & duties. Also, let’s not forget an 18% GST tax you will get charged there as well. There, we just saved you $3000 - Consider it a discount :)
On a serious note, please note that we do donate a portion of each sale to the Alzheimer's Association. Please be mindful of this when asking for discounts.
Finally, we do offer specials from time to time, especially to our loyal customers. Register for an account, and you will be automatically added to our mailing list.
I am not Indian, can I get a discount?
Oh, wait we see what you did there, reverse psychology? You would have paid $4500. (see above).
I already spent $2000 on an outfit I purchased from elsewhere that turned out a mess. I need something made in place... can I get a discount?
Unfortunately, not, but consider that a learning lesson where you could have had a stress-free process with us! We would have saved you time & money and you would have ended up with a fabulous outfit :)
I'm only going to wear this outfit once, can I get a discount?
Unfortunately, not. However, based on customer feedback, we do promise you that if you purchase from us, you will wear your outfit more than once - That is the goal!
Does your studio offer alteration or tailoring?
We operate like our website whether shopping online or in-store. We do not offer any alteration services after purchase. Any tailoring or alterations are to be taken care of per customer. Most of our pieces come with about 3 - 4 inches of inseam to adjust accordingly. This equates to almost 2 dress sizes. We may have a list of recommended tailors in your city since we have been shipping throughout the country for quite some time!
Does you carry or customize Men’s clothing? Can I purchase matching Mens through your studio?
You have probably seen many examples of custom men’s clothing we have created on our social media posts. We do not have these styles available to shop on our website or in-studio quite yet, but we’re working on it.
In the meantime, you can definitely order any of the men’s’ styles that our partnered designers have, directly through us for the same price. For example, we do take orders on Falguni Shane Peacock, Anita Dongre, & Payal Singhal Menswear. We will work to coordinate outfit colors and details with the designer.
We carry a very limited (if any) men’s’ attire in-stock in our studio. We usually do have kurtas in-stock ready-to-purchase.
Does your studio offer kids’ clothing?
We do have a limited amount of styles on our website. In-studio, we do have many more options to purchase off-the-rack.
We work with all our curated designers directly & communicate with them daily. Therefore, we can get a range of customizations done within their styles from colors to necklines. Not sure? Just ask! We try our best to make it happen within means. while ensuring order still turns out nicely.
Can colors be changed?
Yes, we can change colors to most styles though it is still dependent. Note that the embroidery tones may not be able to be changed though.
Can sleeves be added or removed on a style?
Yes, most styles can have sleeves added. There could be additional charges for sleeves, depending on the length of the sleeve, embroidery, etc. Sleeves can be made without, as well.
Can my top be made longer or neckline be modified?
Yes, most styles can be modified! Your top length will be based upon your measurements, if custom
Why does the fabric of my piece look like it has pulls? Has it been damaged?
Silk is a natural fabric which when woven & develops natural pulls. This is quite common on raw & dupion silk, as well as other natural weaves. It is not a defect in the garment, but the nature of the fabric
Why can't my order get made with same exact pattern as pictured?
Unlike our solid fabrics such as georgettes and silks, patterned fabric does not get dyed. These fabrics get sourced from market in India and these markets are ever-changing with their supply. Therefore, options will vary based upon time of order.
Why doesn't my custom order look exactly the same as the original?
Each custom order is hand-made from scratch. Can you imagine hand-making, dying, and embroidering a garment from scratch and having all the same details come out exactly the same each time? That is what makes our custom orders unique! Therefore, there might be some variation if patterned fabrics, borders, etc need to be sourced. Additionally, embroiderers may be unique to each order, which can cause slight variation in embroidery. Lastly, it is difficult to get each specific dye job exactly the same for each batch. However, we always try our best to get as close to original details as possible. Ordering pieces with this type of special hand touch causes factors noted above to be out of our control, but makes each piece unique. None of our styles are factory made.
You have the option to select default sizing for your orders or 'Custom' sizing. (*Note the item may show 'Sold Out' if you do not select sizing options that are close to one another, as a safeguard to ensure you did not input incorrect sizes).
For the default size options, refer to our sizing chart here.
If you select the 'Custom' size options, your order will be made to exact measurements you provide. You will need to fill out the corresponding measurement guide after checkout.
Custom Size Information:
If purchasing a custom size option, the final fit of your garments depends upon the accuracy of the measurements that you provide. Therefore, it is extremely important to send the accurate measurements. Measurements should be provided in Inches.
Below are some general guidelines for taking the measurements with higher accuracy:
* Wear regular bra (not a sports bra) while taking measurements
* Have a trusted tailor take your measurements
* If taking measurements at home, stand in front of the mirror (so you too can monitor the process) or ask someone for help.
* While taking measurements, stand straight, have arms hang loose on the side, and do not suck in your stomach
* Measurements should be taken snuggly over the body, not too tight or too loose
* Please ensure length measurements take into account any shoes or heels
* Tip: to use your existing clothing as guides for measurements. For example, if you’re providing measurements for a saree blouse, then we suggest wearing saree blouse that fits well to cross-check. For skirt lengths, check measurements against an existing skirt and so forth
If your measurement details are accurate, this will reflect on the final fit of your outfit.
Studio East6 in Partnership with the Alzheimer’s Association
Since conception, SE6 donates a portion of every sale to the Alzheimer’s Association. The concept to create the studio was inspired by Rupa’s amazing mother, who was diagnosed with early on-set Alzheimer’s in 2010. Rupa’s fondest memories with her mother is sharing the love for all things fashion with her. SE6 is in legacy of Rupa’s mother & her forever impeccable style.
Sustainability & International Fair Labor Practices
Studio East6 pieces are not manufactured in bulk, compared to many other Indian fashion boutiques. Each piece from SE6 is hand-crafted from artisans in India, while adhering to fair labor practices, working conditions, and wages.
We fully support all our artisans by nurturing their beautiful craft while ensuring to safe working conditions. Choosing to purchase handmade products via our studio allows us to support the livelihood of skilled artisans and keep traditional crafts alive.
SE6 believes in sustainability by carrying a limited selection of inventory in-stock (about ~150 styles in-studio at any given time). SE6 works mainly by a made-to-order basis, working to reduce the retail carbon footprint.
SE6 also aims to reduce our carbon footprint. We ship out all our orders in the same fashion in which our partnered designers ship to us and would ship direct to consumer/client. We will include any garment bags, duster bags, and packaging the designer uses to normally ship. Our packaging may not look the prettiest, b/c we purposefully reuse all packaging material, as best as possible - from all shipping boxes to plastic sleeves, as long as the garment is secure in delivery. We make it a direct point to reduce waste by not filling our orders with any other extra packaging material, other than what is needed to deliver orders safely & properly.
We really want you to be happy with your purchase. We are extremely passionate about our customers and ensuring that they are happy. However, we also want to secure ourselves against people who buy our product, wear them once, and then return it.
LIST OF RETURNABLE ITEMS
1. Only our Ready-to-Ship items (excluding items listed in List of Final Sale/Non-Refundable Items) are applicable for a return & refund. Tags must be on. If tags have been removed, item automatically will be categorized as non-refundable. Items must be unworn and undamaged. If item is not under 'Ready To Ship' section, it is considered a custom order whether you select default sizing or custom sizing. It will be made to order & is non-refundable.
LIST OF FINAL SALE / NON-RETURNABLE ITEMS
1. Any item that is not in our Ready-to-Ship section. These items are considered custom orders and non-refundable
2. International orders (NOT IN THE USA)
3. Gift cards
4. Products listed or noted as Final Sale or Sample Sale
5. Non-clothing items or Accessories (this includes all jewelry, shoes, handbags, purses, belts, headpieces, arm cuffs, or any item that is non-clothing related)
6. Worn Product/ Damaged Product
7. Consignment Stock
Ready-To-Ship Items Full Refund Policy
We accept returns only for items under our Ready To Ship category items received from 7 days upon date of delivery or in-studio purchase will be issued a full refund.
Tags must be on. If tags have been removed, item automatically will be categorized as non-refundable. Items must be unworn and undamaged.
This is 7 days door-to-door refund policy upon delivery or in-studio purchase and return of Studio East6. For example, if your order was delivered or purchased in-studio on 1/1/2020, then the last date where a return will be accepted for a full refund is 1/8/20.
If item is not under 'Ready To Ship' section, it is considered a custom order whether you select default sizing or custom sizing. It will be made to order & is non-refundable.
Ready-To-Ship Items Store Credit Policy
Returns for our Ready-To-Ship items received from 8 - 10 days upon date of delivery or studio purchase will be issued store credit. Tags must be on. Items must be unworn and undamaged. For example, if your order was delivered or purchased in-studio on 1/1/2020, then the window for when store credit will be accepted would be 1/9/20 -1/11/20.
*Returns will not be accepted after 10 days upon delivery date.
Return Shipping - It is the customer's responsibility for the shipping return of their order to address listed below.
1142 W. Madison St. #407
Chicago, IL 60607
* When returning garments, please ensure each garment is secure in plastic covering to protect from any damage.
* Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you are returning an item over $100, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We are not responsible for any lost or damaged packages.
Non Ready-To-Ship / Custom Order Return Policy - Non-Refundable
* All non-ready-to-ship /custom orders are final sale. If an item is not under 'Ready To Ship' category, it is considered a custom order whether you select default sizing or custom sizing. It will be made to order & is non-refundable.
* Please note that custom sizes will be checked against measurements taken or provided by customer before shipping or delivery. We do hold all final measurement check images up to 14 days after shipping or pick-up, feel free to ask.
* Since we do not charge additional fees for most custom size orders, any additional alterations are to be taken care of per customer. Alterations can be due to numerous factors: such as weight fluctuations, accuracy of measurements (if provided by customer), dress style, etc. Bust and waist sizing fluctuate frequently and commonly. Therefore, each piece is built with additional margin to let out, if needed per customer.
* Additionally, there may be slight color variations due what is photographed and actual pieces due to lighting of photo(s), orders being is custom dyed, laptop/computer settings, etc.
* If there is production defect or serious issue with an order, please email email@example.com within 36 hours of delivery with comprehensive details along with images of the product to be considered for review. Please note we are not able to assist after 24 hours.
PRICING AND PRICE REDUCTIONS/CORRECTIONS:
Studio East6 reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at/on the website at any time due to price changes from our partnered designers and/or correct pricing errors that may inadvertently occur.
Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. If you are paying for your order with an international Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit card, please note that the purchase price may fluctuate with exchange rates. In addition, your bank or credit card issuer may also charge you foreign conversion charges and fees, which may also increase the overall cost of your purchase. Please contact your bank or credit card issuer regarding these fees.